2.02.2010

Magic Matthew II & III


Okay, let me explain what this is all about. See, as a kid, my dad's expectations of me greatly surpassed my general comprehension.

In this double-feature episode, 3 year old me is trying to learn the old "bird in the balloon" trick. One of the only magic related things that my dad taught me which stuck was that if anyone ever asks, "How did you do that?!" Your answer must be nothing other than, "Very well." Clever, right?

Anyway, I'm going to break that rule now, but just for you. See here's how the trick works: there's a table with a secret compartment into which you cram a live dove. You tie a balloon to the top of the table. Then, if you're a 3 year old, you fumble around with trying to simultaneously pop the balloon with a fake knife, distract the audience with some kind of witty banter, and pull a hidden lever which releases the dove.

I can't even blow up a balloon.

So this episode illustrates that very disconnect between me and my dad which simultaneously caused every trick to flounder, and every video to take wings and fly away.



DOUBLE FEATURE!

And in this episode, I utter perhaps my greatest catchphrase: "Out With It!"





2 comments:

  1. So adorable!!!!

    Did you keep the dove as a pet or is there some sort of dove rental place for magicians? (My brain is definitely making up a Monty Python-esque sketch at the moment.) What's the return policy for the mishaps of botched tricks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just too freaking cute in these two videos! Who knew Matt Holmen was such a cute kid?!?!

    ReplyDelete