2.09.2010

Confessions of a Tour Manager




Hello, I’m Adam and I am the tour manager for We The Living. You might have met me at the merch booth, or caught a glimpse of me sleeping at a table in your school’s cafeteria. Yes, I was that homeless-looking (and -smelling) guy that you avoided.

As you know, the guys and I spend a lot of time in the van, our mobile-mansion. It’s great! We discuss difficult topics, such as life, love and Lost. We debate politics, philosophy, and our opinions of Kate Austin. And after the conversations end and the iPods come out, I have a lot of time to think. I like driving at night when everyone is asleep, because this is the best time to think. The world is covered in a veil of darkness, the scenery is gone; I feel like I could be anywhere. Driving through the dark night down Interstate-whatever, my face ominously lit by the soft glow of the instrument panel, I feel like an evil mastermind. Just me and my thoughts; plotting ways to take over the world.

I rant a lot…a lot. But today, I’m going to spare you. The purpose of this blog entry is only to introduce myself and then, periodically, when the guys will allow, I will enthrall you with my words of wisdom and whine. Wait, what am I thinking? I can’t leave you empty-handed on my first blog entry! I need to take advantage the precious few opportunities I have on here…

A quote. “The thing to learn is to know what people are thinking about, not what they say.”

Try flipping this around on yourself. Learn to say what you mean, so you don’t become a grotesque. Read Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson.

2 comments:

  1. ADAM!!!!!! :D

    1) I don't have any apples this time -- but I have blueberries.

    2) I completely understand loving to drive highways at night when the entire world is asleep. My problem is the process of traveling makes me compose pages and pages of text in my head. The words just flow perfectly. Which is generally a good thing for a writer-philosopher. But not so much when you can't scribble them down because you're driving but you're desperately trying not to lose the perfect words you already composed.

    3) That is a great quote! Will ponder further. And I'll check out Anderson. Haven't read anything of his, but I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to get back together!!! I saw you at NOAC in 2009 and yall were amazing!! You NEED to get back together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete