1.12.2010

Benjamin Speaks: Inertia of the Drum Key



Let me tell you a little something about a tool that all drummers use: a drum key. This T-shaped gadget is a staple on all drummers' key chains, scene clips, or body piercings. They are found in the the jeans you haven't worn in a month, on the coffee tables of friends' apartments, in old cases, near bathroom sinks, or in the pockets of the greedy drummer you last lent it to. I cherish drum keys, for my moments with any one in particular are fleeting.





When I retire for the evening, I like to empty out all my pockets and create a tidy bed for my coins, my phone, my keys, my wallet, my sunglasses, and of course, my drum key. After tucking each in, I, myself, slip into my neatly made bed.

When I wake, I find my drum key halfway across the room, in the cup holder in the van, and sometimes I find 3 drum keys where I had place only 1.

--

Moral of my story comes from the book Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins:

"The inertia of objects is deceptive . . . (so) how can we be so sure that we know what things are doing when we aren't looking at them."


Let that stew around.

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand.

    When I was a little girl, I was absolutely positive that as soon as I stopped watching them, all my toys would have fun without me (because such is the nature of toys -- to want to have fun) and my clothes would spread themselves all over the floor (because they'd get so cramped being folded up in drawers all day -- wouldn't you want a stretch after such a life?) My parents never believed me it wasn't my fault the rooms were such a mess -- it was the things themselves moving about when I turned away. I regularly would run back to my room or the playroom downstairs to peek in the door to see if I could be quick enough to catch them moving about.

    True story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (And a true story I've never told anyone else.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this "Benjamin Speaks". He should do it more often.

    ReplyDelete